About Me

My photo
Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How Me and Anesthetic Met

Sometimes in life, the greatest challenges we face are with ourselves. This statement is very true in my life. For example, I remember when I was about ten years old getting my first filling at the dentist. I have always had a fear of the dentist but this time was the worst.

It was the night before my filling and all I could think about was the excruciating pain and loud drilling. I could hardly sleep, my stomache felt as if it was doing backflips. All I wanted was a miracle, something that would happen so I didn't have to go to the dentist in the morning.

I woke up the next morning surprised that I even fell asleep. My thoughts of last night still didn't change, except in less than thirty minutes I was going to be in the dentist chair.

Holding my moms hand tightly, I opened the door to the dentist office. The sour aroma of the flouride and metal filled the empty waiting room. At this point I thought," This is it, there is nothing I can do. I have to go in there. No turning back now." But no matter how much I would try to calm myself down, the more I thought of the pain and discomfort. My palms began to sweat. My feet were shaking with anxiety. Thoughts of the numbing needle made my brain explode.

Suddenly, I heard someone say," Vanessa Clarke? Follow me!" My stomache dropped quickly to the floor. When I stood up, I could hardly feel my legs. Staring back at my mom, while the nurse brought me into the other room, I felt like I would never see her again and I wanted her to be by my side the whole time.

The chair went back all the way so I could just see the ceiling and a T.V. I remember hearing Dr. Chan (my dentist) say," Get the anesthetic ready for Vanessa." in a very monotone voice. Sweat was now dripping from my forehead. I kept clenching my wet fists together. Then the dentist came over, the needle was shinning in the sunlight," Lean back Vanessa, you will just feel a slight tickle. Watch the T.V." As if that was really going to keep my mind off of her putting a needle in my mouth. I felt as if I had no control over the situation at all. The nurse, who was assisting the dentist, grabbed hold of my hands and smiled down at me. At that moment, a sense of safety filled my entire body. I sqeezed her hand as hard as I could. Then all of a sudden Dr. Chan looked at me and said," Great job Vanessa the needle is out. In fifteen minutes we will start the filling."

My mind was blown. That couldn't have been the needle because I didn't even feel it, I thought to myself. A giant wave of relief left me feeling warm and proud that it was done and I did not even cry. However, the filling was next and I still had a lump in my stomache.

After my mouth was competely numb, the dentist came back and turned on the drill. My content and dignified thoughts quickly flew out the window. She tilted my head back even more, I could hear the drilling and smell the metal from it but I could not feel anything what so ever. Fortunately, after about ten minutes of the loud drilling sound and vexation, the procedure was complete and I could go home.The whole drive home I kept thinking about how I lost sleep over that. Also about how harmless dentists really are.

Since that appointment, I haven't been as agitated about going to the dentist. And I actually like the anesthetic because then you know you will not feel any extreme pain, maybe just a tickle. Now that I look back on this story, I was the one who made myself nervous prior to the appointment. My connotation and what I had heard about getting fillings really made me stressed, until I literally had the experience for myself. From this event, I learned we (ourselves) are the biggest contributers in challenging situations in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment